In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knock like this:
KNOCK, a township in Long Marton parish, Westmoreland; 5 miles N of Appleby. Pop., 197. The manor belonged to the Boyvilles, the Rookbys, and others; and passed to the Tuftons. An ancient cross was here, and is the subject of a local saying, . " As old. as Knock Cross. ''
Additional information about this locality is available for Long Marton
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Knock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Knock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knock, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Knock".