In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fleetwood like this:
Fleetwood, seaport town and watering-place with ry. sta., Poulton-le-Fylde par., N. Lancashire, at mouth of river Wyre, 18 miles NW. of Preston and 229 NW. of London, pop. 6733; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Fleetwood dates from 1836, and is now a considerable town, with a large trade. Royal mail steamers ply daily to and from Belfast, and there is regular communication with the Isle of Man. The harbour is safe and extensive; a new dock, with an area of 10 ac., was opened in 1877. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Within the town is a fixed light 90 ft. above high water and seen 13 miles; and on the esplanade is a fixed light 30 ft. above high water and seen 9 miles. Fleetwood has barracks and a school of musketry.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fleetwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wyre. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fleetwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fleetwood, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fleetwood".