In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clapton like this:
CLAPTON, hamlet in Mapleton parish, Somerset; 5½ miles S of Bruton. Pop., 38.
Additional information about this locality is available for Maperton
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clapton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clapton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clapton in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clapton".