In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maindee like this:
MAINDEE, a chapelry in Christchurch parish, Monmouth; suburban to Newport. It was constituted in 1865; and it has a post office under Newport, Monmouth. Pop., 2,200. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, not reported. Patron, Eton College. The church was built in 1861, at a cost of £3,930. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1868.
Additional information about this locality is available for Christchurch
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Maindee has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Maindee and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maindee, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Maindee".