In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Higher Eggerton like this:
EGGERTON (Higher), a hamlet in Litton-Cheney parish, Dorset; 4¼ miles ENE of Bridport. Eggerton hill here, but partly within two other parishes, is crowned by a Roman camp of 47½ acres, 1, 386 feet by 749, of oval outline; the area, studded with tumuli, and commanding a fine view: the N and E sides doubly ditched: the W side triply ditched; the two entrances, on the NW and SE, skilfully made by overlapping banks.
Additional information about this locality is available for Litton Cheney
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Higher Eggerton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Higher Eggerton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Higher Eggerton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Higher Eggerton".