In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Henllys like this:
HENLLIS, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; on a branch of the river Usk, near the Crumlin canal and the western Valleys railway, 1½ mile N NE of Tydeo r. station, and 3½ NW of Newport. Post town, Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 2, 622. Real property, £1, 647. Pop., 238. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £40. Patron, the Vicar of Bassaleg.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Henllys has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Torfaen. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Henllys and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Henllys, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Henllys".