In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton like this:
MILTON, a hamlet in Prittlewell parish, Essex; close to Southend. Real property, £7,650; of which £570 are in fisheries. It was anciently a separate parish; but ceased to be so in consequence of part of it being swallowed up by the sea. Its church continued to be visible at low-water mark in the last century.
Additional information about this locality is available for Southend on Sea
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Milton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Southend on Sea. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Milton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton, in Southend on Sea and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Milton".