In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Black Chapel like this:
BLACK-CHAPEL, a chapelry in Great Waltham parish, Essex; on the river Chelmer, 4½ miles N of Chelmsford r. station. Post Town, Great Waltham, under Chelmsford. Statistics with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £80. Patrons, Trustees.
Additional information about this locality is available for Great Waltham
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Black Chapel has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chelmsford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Black Chapel and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Black Chapel, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Black Chapel".