In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kimpton like this:
KIMPTON, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands 2¼ miles E of the boundary with Beds, 3 N of Wheathampstead r. station, and 7½ S by W of Hitchin. The parish contains also PetersGreen; and its post town is Welwyn. Acres, 3, 579. Real property, £6, 941. Pop. in 1851, 992; in 1861, 1, 014. Houses, 197. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £445.* Patron, Lord Dacre. The church is of varions dates; was much injured by the parliamentarians in the civil war; underwent extensive restoration and enlargement in 1857-62; and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, schools supported principally by Lord Dacre, and charities £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kimpton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kimpton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kimpton in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kimpton".