In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Foreland like this:
FORELAND (South), a headland on the SE coast of Kent; 3 miles NE of Dover, and 4¼ SW of the S end of the Goodwin Sands. Two lighthouses are on it, erected in 1793-5, situated 1, 347 feet apart, E by S, and W by N, and showing fixed lights 380 and 275 feet high, visible at the distance of 25 and 22 miles.
Additional information about this locality is available for St Margarets At Cliffe
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Foreland has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Foreland and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Foreland, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Foreland".