In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pentewan like this:
PENTEWAN, a sea-port village in Mevagissey parish, Cornwall; 4 miles S by E of St. Austell r. station. It has a post-office under St. Austell, and a harbour; it was formerly noted for its stream-works; and it gives nameto an excellent building-stone, quarried in a fine-grained elvan. The property around it belonged formerly to the Pentires, the Darts, the Robertses, and others; and passed to the Tremaynes.
Additional information about this locality is available for St Austell
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pentewan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Restormel. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pentewan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pentewan, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pentewan".