In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Portwood like this:
PORTWOOD, a chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the river Mersey at the boundary with Lancashire, and within Stockport borough. It was constituted in 1844; and its post town is Stockport. Pop. in 1861, 5, 346. Houses, 1, 189. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron, alternatelythe Crown and the Bishop. The church is a recent stoneedifice, and has a handsome lofty spire.
The location is where the name "Portwood" appears on the modern 1:25,000 map, and also on the Land Utilisation Survey map. Additional information about this locality is available for Stockport
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Portwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Portwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portwood, in Stockport and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Portwood".