In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Amwell like this:
AMWELL. (Little), a chapelry in All Saints parish, Hertford; 1 mile W by S of Ware. Acres, 491. Real property, £3,019. Pop., 500. Houses, 96. The living is a vicarage. Value, £90.* The church was built in 1863.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Little Amwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Little Amwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Amwell in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Little Amwell".