In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Amberley like this:
AMBERLEY, a hamlet in Minchinhampton parish, and a chapelry in Minchinhampton and Rodborough parishes, Gloucester. The hamlet stands near Nailsworth, 3 miles S of Stroud r. station; and its Post Town is Nailsworth under Stroud. The chapelry includes the hamlet, and was constituted in 1841. Pop., 1,438. Houses, 364. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300.* Patron, D. Ricardo, Esq.
Additional information about this locality is available for Minchinhampton
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Amberley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stroud. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Amberley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amberley, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Amberley".