In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longford like this:
LONGFORD, a hamlet in Harmondsworth parish, Middlesex; on a branch of the river Colne, 1 mile E of Colnbrook. It takes its name from a long ford on the stream; it has a fine bridge, called the Queen's bridge; and it is frequented by anglers. The tract around it lies low, and is subject to floods.
Additional information about this locality is available for Harmondsworth
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hillingdon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longford, in Hillingdon and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longford".