In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stokes Bay like this:
STOKES-BAY, a village in Alverstoke parish, Hants; on the coast at the terminus of a short branch of the Southwestern railway, 2 miles S of Gosport. It has a r. station with telegraph and a coastguard station; is the point of steam-boat communication with Ryde; and overlooks a famous roadstead, where all ships of war, when fitted with new engines, test their speed at a measured mile.
The location is the terminus of the railway line from Gosport, as mentioned by the Imperial Gazetteer and as shown on the Land Utilisation Survey map of the area. Additional information about this locality is available for Alverstoke
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stokes Bay has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Gosport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stokes Bay and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stokes Bay, in Gosport and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stokes Bay".