In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lamerton like this:
LAMERTON, a village and a parish in Tavistock district, Devon. The village stands 3 miles NW by N of Tavistock r. station; is a scattered place; and has a post-office, under Tavistock.The parish contains also the hamlets of Chaddlehanger, Hilltown, North Bren-Tor, and Ottery. Acres, 7,232. Real property, £9,504; of which £800 are in mines. Pop., 1,517. Houses, 289. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Tavistock Abbey. Collacombe-Barton was long the seat of the Tremayne family; has a Tudor character, with a large transom window in one of the rooms; and is now a farm-house. ...
Venn House is the seat of the Rev. W. Gill. The northern part of the parish, around Brent-Tor, and on the border of Dartmoor, contains romantic scenery, and includes the Lidford waterfall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £344.* Patron, J. H. Tremayne, Esq. The church is large; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and S porch, with embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Tremaynes. There are a chapel of ease at Brent-Tor, a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £80.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lamerton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lamerton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lamerton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lamerton".