In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ipplepen like this:
IPPLEPEN, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands on the South Devon railway, 3¼ miles SSW of Newton-Abbot; was anciently known as Iplepine; had once a market and a fair, dating from 1317; and has now a post office under Newton-Abbot. The parish contains also the chapelry of Woodland, and the hamlets of Daignton, CoombeFishacre, and Castleford. Acres, 4, 675. Real property, £8, 023; of which £25 are in quarries. Pop., 977. Houses, 209. The property is much subdivided. ...
The scenery is beautiful and romantic; abounds in tors or rocky heights; and includes a small valley, called Stony Coombes, with several subterranean rivulets. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £130.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient but good; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; has a tower 100 feet high, commanding a view of thirteen different church towers; and contains a fine carved oak pulpit, and a beautiful carved oak screen. The p. curacy of Woodland is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school. There was anciently a cell to St. Peter de Fulgeriis in Brittany.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ipplepen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teignbridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ipplepen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ipplepen, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ipplepen".