In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hooe like this:
HOOE, a village and a chapelry in Plymstock parish, Devon. The village stands on the coast, 3 miles SE of Plymouth.The chapelry was constituted in 1856; and its post town is Plymouth. Pop., 1, 082. Houses, 234. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £79. Patron, Lady Rogers.
Additional information about this locality is available for Plymstock
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hooe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Plymouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hooe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hooe, in Plymouth and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hooe".