In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Combe Down like this:
COMBE-DOWN, a chapelry in Combe-Monckton parish, Somerset; near the Great Western railway and the river Avon, 2 miles S of Bath. It has a post office‡ under Bath. Pop., 940. A hill, giving name to the place, is 550 feet high; commands an extensive prospect; yields Bath stone in large quarries; is pierced and cut with caverns and passages; and bears on its slope a pleasant little town, with villas, an inn, and the church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Vicar of South Stoke.
Additional information about this locality is available for Bath
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Combe Down has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Combe Down and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Combe Down in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Combe Down".