In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walton like this:
WALTON, a township in Chesterfield parish, Derby; 3 miles SW by W of Chesterfield. Real property, £6,780; of which £1,718 are in mines. Pop., 1,082. Houses, 226. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Walton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North East Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Walton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walton in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walton".