In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cwmavon like this:
CWM-AVON, a seat of manufacture in Glamorgan; on the river Avon, 2 miles N of Aberavon. It has a post office‡ under Taibach; and is connected by railway with Port-Talbot. It contains the extensive copper, tin, and iron works of the Copper Miners Company, incorporated in 1691; exhibits striking scenery, both natural and artificial; and has a handsome recently-erected church, with a lofty spire, -a stone aqueduct, 460 feet long, conveying a stream for a water-wheel-and a flue carried 3, 300 feet up the acclivity of the mountain, for carrying copper-smoke vapour.
Additional information about this locality is available for Michaelstone super Avon
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cwmavon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Neath Port Talbot. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cwmavon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cwmavon, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cwmavon".