In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brandon like this:
BRANDON and BYSHOTTLES, a township in Brancepeth parish, Durham; near the Durham and Bishop-Auckland railway, 3 miles SW by W of Durham. It has a side-station, of the name of Brandon. Acres, 6,726. Real property, £11,230; of which £5,812 are in mines. Pop., 1,486. Houses, 270. Brandon hill here has an altitude of 875 feet; is crowned with a tumulus, 120 paces in circuit and 24 feet high; and commands an extensive view.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brandon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Durham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brandon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brandon, in Durham and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brandon".