In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linton like this:
LINTON, a township in Church-Gresley parish, Derby; 4½ miles SSE of Burton-upon-Trent. Acres, 860. Real property, £2,302. Pop. in 1851,279; in 1861, 365. Houses, 79. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Linton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Linton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linton in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Linton".