Place:


Belgravia  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belgravia like this:

BELGRAVIA, the southern wing of the West End of London. It is bounded, on the N, by Knightsbridge; on the E, by Grosvenor Square; on the SE, by Ebury Street; and on the W, by Sloane Street. It stands on ground, originally marshy, belonging to the Marquis of Westminster; and was built chiefly in 1826-52. It includes Belgrave and Eaton squares; has generally large, regular, elegant houses; and is highly fashionable.

Belgravia through time

Belgravia is now part of Westminster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Westminster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Belgravia itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belgravia, in Westminster and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23558

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Belgravia ".