In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farncombe like this:
FARNCOMB, a tything and a chapelry in Godalming parish, Surrey. The tything lies on the Guildford and New Portsmouth railway, 1 mile NNE of Godalming; and has a post office under Godalming. The chapelry was constituted in 1849. Rated property, £2, 886. Pop., 2, 084. Houses, 445. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £300.* Patron, -the Bishop of Winchester. The church is modern; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Farncombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Waverley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Farncombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farncombe, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Farncombe".