In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stonegate like this:
STONEGATE, a chapelry in Ticehurst parish, Sussex; 1¼ mile NE of Ticehurst-Road r. station, and 9 SSE of Tunbridge-Wells. It was constituted in 1839; and it has a post-office under Hurst-Green. Pop., 444. Houses, 81. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, not reported. Patron, G.Courthope, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stonegate has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rother. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stonegate and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonegate, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stonegate".