In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staplefield like this:
STAPLEFIELD-COMMON, a chapelry in Cuckfield parish, Sussex; 4¼ miles NW of Haywards-Heath r. station. It was constituted in 1848; and it has a post-office under Crawley. Pop., 798. Houses, 129. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £70.* Patron, the Vicar of Cuckfield. The church was built in 1847. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
Additional information about this locality is available for Cuckfield
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Staplefield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Sussex. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Staplefield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staplefield in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Staplefield".