In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Norwood like this:
NORWOOD-ST. MARK, a chapelry in Croydon parish, Surrey; around South Norwood village and Norwood-Junction r. station, 2¼ miles N N E of Croydon. It was constituted in 1859; and it has a post-office‡ of South Norwood, under London S. Pop. in 1861, 1, 489. Houses, 279. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Vicar of Norwood-All Saints. See Norwood, Surrey.
Additional information about this locality is available for Norwood
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Norwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Croydon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Norwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Norwood, in Croydon and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Norwood".