In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garthgynyd like this:
GARTHGYNYD, a hamlet in Gelligaer parish, Glamorgan; near the river Romney, 5½ miles NNW of Caerphilly. Real property, £617. Pop., 125. Houses, 23.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Garthgynyd has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Merthyr Tydfil. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Garthgynyd and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garthgynyd, in Merthyr Tydfil and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Garthgynyd".