In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oby like this:
OBY, a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk; on the river Bure, 3½ miles N of Acle, and 7 N E of Brundall r. station. Post-town, Ludham, under Norwich. Acres, with Ashby, 1, 408. Real property, with Ashby, £3,085. Pop. of O. alone, 80. Houses, 12. The living is a rectory, united with the rectories of Ashby and Thirne, in the diocese of Norwich. The church for the three rectories is in Thirne, but the parsonage is in Oby; and here also are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Great Yarmouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oby, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oby".