In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eccles like this:
ECCLES, a parish in Guiltcross district Norfolk; adjacent to the Norfolk railway, at Eccles-Road station 2½ miles NE of Harling. It has a post office under Attleborough. Acres, 1, 685. Real property, £1, 746. Pop., 194. Houses, 38. The property is divided among three. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £290. Patron, Sir T. Beevor, Bart. The church is ancient.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eccles has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Breckland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eccles and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eccles, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eccles".