In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pontnewynydd like this:
PONTNEWYNYDD, a hamlet and a chapelry in Trevethin parish, Monmouth. The hamlet lies on the river Avon and on the Eastern Valleys railway, ¾ of a mile N N W of Pontypool; and has a station on the railway and a post-office under Pontypool. The chapelrywas constituted in 1844. Pop., 2, 753. Houses, 540. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Trevethin.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pontnewynydd has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Torfaen. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pontnewynydd and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pontnewynydd, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pontnewynydd".