In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hardwick like this:
HARDWICK, a hamlet in Chepstow parish, Monmouth; near the river Wye, 1 mile S of Chepstow. Real property, £2,061. Pop., 36. Hardwick House is an old seat of the Thomas family, and was purchased and improved by the late Bishop Coplestone.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hardwick has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hardwick and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hardwick in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hardwick".