In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wield like this:
WIELD, a parish in Alton district, Hants; 6½ miles W of Alton r. station. Post town, Alresford. Acres, 2,087. Real property, £1,857. Pop., 304. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £64. Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church is good; and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hampshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wield in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wield".