In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tufton like this:
TUFTON, or Tuckington, a parish in Whitchurch district, Hants; 1½ mile S by W of Whitchurch r. station. Post town, Whitchurch, under Mitcheldever Station. Acres, 1,552. Real property, with Bullington, £3,134. Pop. of T. alone, 142. Houses, 29. The manor belongs to the Earl of Portsmouth. The living is annexed to Bullington, The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tufton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basingstoke and Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tufton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tufton, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tufton".