In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tadley like this:
TADLEY, a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants; 5 miles NNW of Basingstoke r. station. Post town, Basingstoke. Acres, 2,047. Real property, £1,340. Pop., 900. Houses, 191. The living is a rectory, annexed to Overton. There is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tadley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basingstoke and Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tadley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tadley, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tadley".