In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penton Mewsey like this:
PENTON-MEWSEY, a parish in Andover district, Hants; 2¾ miles W N W of Andover r. station. It has a post-office under Andover. Acres, 1,044. Real property, £2,093. Pop., 277. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £315.* Patron, the Rev. J. Constable. The church is ancient, was recently restored, and has a fine bell-turret. There are a freeschool and charities £9.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penton Mewsey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Test Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penton Mewsey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penton Mewsey, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penton Mewsey".