In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holdenhurst like this:
HOLDENHURST, a village and a parish in Christchurch district, Hants. The village stands on the river Stour, 3 miles NW of Christchurch r. station. The parish contains the tythings of Redhall. Moordown, Charminster, Stronden, Great Dean and Little Down, Muccleshell, Muscliffe, and Throop; extends to the coast: and is all included in Christchurch borough. Post town, Christchurch. Acres, 7, 390; of which 70 are water. Real property, £9, 648; of which £45 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 330; in 1861, 2, 488. Houses, 417. The property is much divided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Christchurch, in the diocese of Winchester. The church was built in 1833. There are an Independent chapel and a national school. A part of the parish, with a pop. of 1, 707 in 1861, is in Bournemouth chapelry.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holdenhurst has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bournemouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holdenhurst and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holdenhurst, in Bournemouth and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holdenhurst".