In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newtown like this:
NEWTOWN, a township, with a village, in Irthington parish, Cumberland; near the river Irthing, 2 miles N W of Brampton. Acres, 881. Real property, £1, 300. Pop., 197. Houses, 46. .
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newtown has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carlisle. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newtown and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtown, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newtown".