In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Pentre like this:
Pentre*, vil., Llanfihangel-Abercowin par., Carmarthenshire, in SW. of co., 2 miles N. of Laugharne.
The location is that of "Pentre Farm", as marked on the modern 1:25,000 map. Boundary maps show that this part of the village of St. Clears was in the parish of Llanfihangel-Abercowin.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pentre has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carmarthenshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pentre and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pentre in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pentre".