In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Grantham like this:
Grantham.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, par., and township, S. Lincolnshire, 25 miles SW. of Lincoln and 105 miles N. of London by rail -- parl. bor., 5811 ac., pop. 17,345; mun. bor., 1676 ac., pop. 16,886; par., 5560 ac., pop. 16,442; township, pop. 6080; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. From its being situated on the Roman road called Ermine Street, it has been assumed that Grantham was a strong Roman station. The town was first incorporated by Edward IV. in 1463. At the grammar-school Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727) was educated. With the exception of some agricultural trade, some malting, and a few minor industries, Grantham has no great commercial importance. It returns 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grantham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Kesteven. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grantham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grantham, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grantham".