In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swindale like this:
SWINDALE, a chapelry in Shap parish, Westmoreland; 4¼ miles SW of Shap r. station. Post town, Penrith. Pop., 73. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £56. Patron, the Vicar of Shap.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Swindale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Swindale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swindale, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swindale".