In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penybont Fawr like this:
PENYBONT-FAWR, a hamlet in Pennant parish, Montgomery; on the river Vyrnwy, 8 miles W S W of Llanfyllin. It has a post-office under Oswestry, and a chapel of ease.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penybont Fawr has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penybont Fawr and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penybont Fawr, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penybont Fawr".