In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brown Edge like this:
BROWN-EDGE, a chapelry in Norton-in-the-Moors parish, Stafford; near the Manchester and Birmingham railway, 3 miles N of Burslem. It was constituted in 1844. Post Town, Norton-in-the-Moors, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Rated property, £1,300. Pop., 670. Houses, 131. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £155.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brown Edge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Staffordshire Moorlands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brown Edge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brown Edge in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brown Edge".