In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Trawden like this:
TRAWDEN, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2¼ miles ESE of Colne r. station, and has a post-office under Colne. The township includes Winewall hamlet; and comprises 2,510 acres. Real property, £6,687. Pop. in 1851, 2,601. in 1861, 2,087. Houses, 426. The decrease of pop. was caused by scarcity of employment for hand-loom weavers. The property is much subdivided T. House is the seat of Mrs. Pilling.The chapelry was constituted in 1845, and is less extensive than the township. Pop., 1,516. Houses, 309. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1845. There are three dissenting chapels, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Trawden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Pendle. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Trawden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Trawden, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Trawden".