In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colney Heath like this:
COLNEY-HEATH, a chapelry in the parishes of St. Peter, St. Stephen, and Ridge, Herts; on the river Colne, near the St. Albans railway, 3 miles SE of St. Albans. It was constituted in 1847; and its post town is St. Albans. Rated property, £2, 795. Pop., 854. Houses, 180. The property is divided among a few. Colney House here, was built by Gov. Bourchier, and inhabited by the Margrave of Anspach; and there are traces at it of a moated monastic house or chapel. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £330.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is tolerable.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Colney Heath has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Albans. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Colney Heath and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colney Heath, in St Albans and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Colney Heath".