In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Canton like this:
CANTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Llandaff parish, Glamorgan; adjacent to the Taff Valley and the Rvmney railways, 1 mile NW of Cardiff. It has a post office‡ under Cardiff. Rated property, £5,589. Pop., 3,920. Houses, 709. The property is much subdivided. The chapelry was constituted in 1858. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. A Baptist chapel, in the Lombardic style, was built in 1858.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Canton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cardiff. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Canton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canton, in Cardiff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Canton".