In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston Brook like this:
PRESTON-BROOK, a village in Preston-on-the-Hill township, Runcorn parish, Cheshire; on the Warrington and Crewe railway, and at the junction of the Bridgewater and the Trent and Mersey canals, 5½ miles S S W of Warrington. It has a head post-office, ‡ a railway station, a few shops, and numerous large warehouses for thetranshipment of goods.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Preston Brook has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Halton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Preston Brook and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston Brook, in Halton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Preston Brook".