In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ranton Abbey like this:
RANTON-ABBEY, or Ronton-Abbey, an extra-parochial tract in the district and county of Stafford; adjacent to Ranton parish. Acres, 700. Real property, £1,007. Pop., 13. Houses, 3. An Augustinian priory, a cell to Haughmond abbey in Salop, was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Robert Fitz-Noel; and is now represented by only a tower and a small portion of the cloisters. A shooting-box of the Earl of Lichfield isnear the ruins.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ranton Abbey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ranton Abbey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ranton Abbey, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ranton Abbey".